Rise Up Feminist Archive is seeking a board member with technical and archival data management experience to serve on its Board of Directors. This is an opportunity for a candidate with a strong technical approach, excellent data management, knowledge of data schemas and related archival experience, a creative thinker with strong communication skills, and a keen interest in feminist history to join our energetic and dedicated team.
Rise Up Feminist Archive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization with charitable status. Our mission is to collect and preserve original materials representing the diverse and radical grassroots history of the Canadian Women’s Movement from the 1970s to 1990s and to make them accessible online to new generations of activists, students, and researchers. We strive to be inclusive of those whose involvement too often goes unacknowledged in mainstream narratives, including the contributions of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Rise Up is also seeking representation on our board that reflects all the regions across Canada, as well as attracting multi-generational participation.
Find out more about Rise Up Feminist Archive’s goals, history, structure, committees and areas of work in our Volunteer Guide.
What You’ll Do
- Participate in organizing and uploading materials to the website
- Use your knowledge to ensure that the metadata is used to meet the mission and direction of the organization.
- Responsible for ensuring web accessibility is enhanced and maintained with the use of metadata
- Work with WordPress and Google Workspace on a regular basis
- Engage in and provide other volunteers with direction, resources and active support to develop work plans and carry out the work
- Work with other team members to develop required deliverables and manage timelines.
- Contribute up to 15-20 hours a month to the role
- Knowledge of how to upload materials to the website
- Ability to train and teach members about processes of uploading materials and metadata
- Ability to explain benefits of data to organization’s members
- Understanding of WordPress
- Knowledge of MySQL an asset
- Understanding of data science and statistical techniques an asset
- Thorough understanding of search technology including weighted rankings using metadata in indexed search engines
- Understanding of metadata and the semantic web (especially Dublin Core, JSON-LD, Schema.org, RDA and other Canadian and international standards for Libraries and Archives classifications, cataloguing and data) .
- Passion for gender equality, feminism and equity, diversity, and inclusivity
- Excellent English writing skills and interpersonal presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
Strengthening Our Diversity
Rise Up is strongly committed to building a Board, Collective and Volunteer Membership that is inclusive of diverse voices. We invite the participation of Black, Indigenous, and women of colour, women with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose involvement in feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record.
Rise Up’s Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity
If you’re interested in helping us advance the work of this exciting archival project, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest together with a bio/resume to email@example.com. Please indicate which position you’re applying for in the subject line.