Rise Up Feminist Archive is seeking a board member with communications, social media and marketing experience to serve on its Board of Directors. The board member will work with the members of the Communications and Social Media committee to build and maintain the organization’s social media presence by generating creative ways to attract more followers and donors. The position is responsible for researching relevant Rise Up materials, posting content on relevant social media platforms, and encouraging audience engagement. This is an opportunity for a candidate with a people-focused approach, a creative thinker with strong communication skills, and a keen interest in feminist history to join our energetic and dedicated team.
Rise Up Feminist Archive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization with charitable status. Our mission is to collect and preserve original materials representing the diverse and radical grassroots history of the Canadian Women’s Movement from the 1970s to 1990s and to make them accessible online to new generations of activists, students, and researchers. We strive to be inclusive of those whose involvement too often goes unacknowledged in mainstream narratives, including the contributions of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Rise Up is also seeking representation on our board that reflects all the regions across Canada, as well as attracting multi-generational participation.
Find out more about Rise Up Feminist Archive’s goals, history, structure, committees and areas of work in our Volunteer Guide.
What You’ll Do
- Understand the Rise Up social media and communications strategy to encourage the community’s participation and support.
- Research audience preferences and understand current social media trends to ensure maximum effectiveness in community and donor engagement
- Develop social media plans and optimal posting schedules that positively increase web traffic and engagement metrics
- Use Rise Up materials to promote the organization via multiple social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Measure web traffic and monitor SEO to report to the Communications and Newsletter Committee on the results
- Brainstorm, develop and implement creative strategies to attract sponsorship and donors
- Collaborate with the Fundraising team and Archive Management Committee to use social media and other technology platforms to maximize communication efforts and activities
- Contribute between 15 and 20 hours a month to the role
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- Demonstrated work or volunteer experience in developing compelling social media plans, with a strong preference for non-profit organization or education
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, coupled with strong editing skills
- Working knowledge of SEO, keyword research, and Google Analytics
- Ability and confidence in developing and communicating a compelling story about the organization that others believe in
- Strong networking skills to encourage and establish donors that recognize the benefits of investing in the Rise Up Feminist Archive and its mission
- Comfortable with different social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Self-starter, who is motivated by achieving social media goals for the organization
- Passionate commitment to feminist history, gender equality, feminism and equity, diversity and inclusivity
- Ability to work independently while collaborating with other team members to achieve desired outcomes that support the Rise Up’s mission
- Strong organizational and process-driven skills, with excellent follow-through on actions
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and/or experience in a similar role
Strengthening Our Diversity
Rise Up is strongly committed to building a Board, Collective and Volunteer Membership that is inclusive of diverse voices. We invite the participation of Black, Indigenous, and women of colour, women with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose involvement in feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record.
If you are interested in helping us advance the work of this exciting archival project, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest together with a bio/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.