Rise Up Feminist Digital Archive is seeking a volunteer with experience dealing with issues related to Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) to serve on its Board of Directors. The board member will join the EDI committee for the development and implementation of initiatives in support of Rise Up’s commitment to building an organization, archive and website that is inclusive of diverse voices. This is an opportunity for a candidate with a deep commitment to issues of inclusivity and strong communication skills to join our energetic and dedicated team.Experience with feminist anti-racist organizing is particularly welcome.
Rise Up Feminist Archive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization with charitable status. Our mission is to collect and preserve original materials representing the diverse and radical grassroots history of the Canadian Women’s Movement from the 1970s to 1990s and to make them accessible online to new generations of activists, students, and researchers. We strive to be inclusive of those whose involvement too often goes unacknowledged in mainstream narratives, including the contributions of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Rise Up is also seeking representation on our board that reflects all the regions across Canada, as well as attracting multi-generational participation.
Find out more about Rise Up Feminist Archive’s goals, history, structure, committees and areas of work in our Volunteer Guide.
What You’ll Do:
Help to develop and implement strategies and projects to meet the following goals:
- Source and process materials for the website that reflect the feminist activism of marginalized groups
- Facilitate meaningful conversations about the Archive with Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record
- Expand and diversify Rise Up’s networks to include the voices of all age groups, francophones, and those based in regions outside Central Canada
- Build a more equitable, diverse and inclusive Rise Up Board, Collective and Membership than is presently the case
- Run webinar series, film series, and collaborative projects featuring activists, researchers and educators working to bring marginalized histories to the centre
- Engage in and provide other volunteers with direction and active support to develop work plans and carry out the work
- Liaise and work with members of other committees to develop deliverables
Qualifications for this Position
- Passion for gender equality, feminism, diversity and inclusivity
- Experience with feminist anti-racist organizing and/or organizing for disabled persons’ rights, and/or experience working in a diverse and inclusive workplace or organization
- Experience with carrying out collaborative feminist projects
- Experience with organizing webinars
- Strong communication, organizational and inter-personal presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Contribute between 15 and 20 hours a month.
Strengthening Our Diversity
Rise Up! is strongly committed to building a Board, Collective and Volunteer Membership that is inclusive of diverse voices. We invite the participation of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, women with disabilities, immigrant women and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose involvement in feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record.
Rise Up’s Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity
If you’re interested in helping us advance the work of this exciting archival project, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest together with a resume to email@example.com. Please indicate which position you’re applying for in the subject line.