Rise Up Feminist Digital Archive is seeking a board member with human resources and operations management experience to serve on its Board of Directors to work on Human Resources and Operations Management activities. The position is responsible for managing correspondence, grants administration, scheduling, and managing Rise Up employees. It also involves managing Rise Up’s GSuite and Mailchimp functions. This is an opportunity for a candidate with an interest in human resource management, who is process-oriented, has a people-focused approach, a creative thinker with strong communication skills, and a keen interest in feminist history to join our energetic and dedicated team.
Rise Up Feminist Archive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization with charitable status. Our mission is to collect and preserve original materials representing the diverse and radical grassroots history of the Canadian Women’s Movement from the 1970s to 1990s and to make them accessible online to new generations of activists, students, and researchers. We strive to be inclusive of those whose involvement too often goes unacknowledged in mainstream narratives, including the contributions of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Rise Up is also seeking representation on our board that reflects all the regions across Canada, as well as attracting multi-generational participation.
Find out more about Rise Up Feminist Archive’s goals, history, structure, committees and areas of work in our Volunteer Guide.
What You’ll Do
In collaboration with other members:
- Monitor and support G Suite Administration
- Undertake customer relationship management in Mailchimp
- Advise Board on privacy laws and regulations
- Provide guidance on Canadian copyright laws (especially online)
- Understand the human resources strategy to support the organization and time management of different HR activities in the organization
- Research and maintain appropriate HR policies to use within the organization and build on existing standardized templates to use in areas like recruitment, evaluation, performance management, etc.
- Develop and implement creative strategies to support HR initiatives within the organization
- Develop and implement employee recruitment strategies in conjunction with other committees of the Board including using recruitment templates for interviews and recruitment processes, following up with obtaining references and writing offers of employment and providing them with appropriate documentation
- Develop onboarding strategies for employees and coordinate applicable training sessions and seminars for them
- Contribute 15-20 hours per month
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- Experience supporting the development of HR plans, with a strong preference for non-profit organizations
- Experience in G Suite Administration, Mailchimp, customer relationship management
- Ability to explain benefits of processes to organization’s members
- Ability to train and teach members
- Ability to identify risk, plan and strategize
- Ability to gauge current and future organizational needs, make and implement recommendations
- Work with technical director to operationalize solutions in website security, email security and the development of security protocols
- Demonstrated understanding of current national, provincial, and international privacy laws and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of copyright laws
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-starter, who is motivated by achieving human resources and administrative goals for the organization
- Passionate commitment to advancing the feminist history, feminism, gender equality, diversity, and inclusivity
- Ability to work independently while collaborating with other team members to achieve desired outcomes that support the mission of the Rise Up Feminist Archive
- Friendly, professional demeanor and easily approachable by others
- Strong organizational and process-driven skills, with an excellent follow-through on actions
- Strong English writing and interpersonal presentation skills
- Completed or currently pursuing a post-secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources, Business Administration, or Marketing
- Skills in Google Suite or Microsoft programs, such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Exposure to HRIS systems and video conferencing considered an asset
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and/or experience in a similar role an asset
- CPHR designation, CPHR Candidate, or RPR designation considered an asset
Strengthening Our Diversity
Rise Up! is strongly committed to building a Board, Collective and Volunteer Membership that is inclusive of diverse voices. We invite the participation of Black, Indigenous, and women of colour, women with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose involvement in feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record.
Rise Up’s Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity
If you are interested in helping us advance the work of this exciting archival project, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest together with a bio/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.