Rise Up Feminist Digital Archive is seeking a board member with volunteer board experience to serve on its Board of Directors. The board member will work with a committee on Volunteer Recruitment and Organization in support of Rise Up’s mission. This is an opportunity for a candidate with strong people skills, a creative thinker with strong communication skills, and a keen interest in feminist history to join our energetic and dedicated team.
Rise Up Feminist Archive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization with charitable status. Our mission is to collect and preserve original materials representing the diverse and radical grassroots history of the Canadian Women’s Movement from the 1970s to 1990s and to make them accessible online to new generations of activists, students, and researchers. We strive to be inclusive of those whose involvement too often goes unacknowledged in mainstream narratives, including the contributions of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Rise Up is also seeking representation on our board that reflects all the regions across Canada, as well as attracting multi-generational participation.
Find out more about Rise Up Feminist Archive’s goals, history, structure, committees and areas of work in our Volunteer Guide.
What You’ll Do
- Conduct needs assessments of volunteer requirements
- In collaboration with committee members, establish, update and maintain a framework within which volunteers function.
- Consult existing Volunteer Guide
- Develop strategies for recruitment
- Organize and manage a recruitment process including outreach and screening of applicants
- Organize onboarding, orientation, and training for volunteers
- Structure and organize the activities of volunteers’ involvement in Rise Up.
- Provide guidelines and assistance to other committee chairs and members who will work with volunteers
- Monitor the needs and quality of services provided by volunteers and assist with any questions.
- Supervise, evaluate and recognize volunteers
- Report to the Collective and Board of Directors on Committee activities
- Organize and facilitate Volunteer Committee work and meetings
- Manage media relations and communications for volunteer recruitment
- Work with other team members to develop required deliverables and manage timelines.
- Contribute up to 15-20 hours a month to the role
- Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in volunteer management.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to take initiative
- Passion for gender equality, feminism and equity, diversity, and inclusivity
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
Strengthening Our Diversity
Rise Up is strongly committed to building a Board, Collective and Volunteer Membership that is inclusive of diverse voices. We invite the participation of Black, Indigenous, and women of colour, women with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose involvement in feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record.
Rise Up’s Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity
If you are interested in helping us advance the work of this exciting archival project, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest together with a resume to email@example.com. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line.