Rise Up Feminist Archive is seeking a board member with website and technical experience to serve on its Board of Directors. The board member will play a leading role in the development and implementation of website and technical requirements in support of Rise Up’s mission. This is an opportunity for a candidate with a strong technical approach, excellent website development experience and related archival experience, a creative thinker with strong communication skills, and a keen interest in feminist history to join our energetic and dedicated team.
Rise Up Feminist Archive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization with charitable status. Our mission is to collect and preserve original materials representing the diverse and radical grassroots history of the Canadian Women’s Movement from the 1970s to 1990s and to make them accessible online to new generations of activists, students, and researchers. We strive to be inclusive of those whose involvement too often goes unacknowledged in mainstream narratives, including the contributions of Black, Indigenous, and Women of Colour, disabled women, immigrant women, and LGBTQ2S+ persons. Rise Up is also seeking representation on our board that reflects all the regions across Canada, as well as attracting multi-generational participation.
Find out more about Rise Up Feminist Archive’s goals, history, structure, committees and areas of work in our Volunteer Guide.
What You’ll Do
- Create and oversee website development work
- Work with a full LAMP stack.
- Expert-level knowledge of WordPress plugin and theme development
- Responsible for ensuring web accessibility
- Familiarity with user experience design cycle
- Willingness to be a user advocate to the rest of the collective.
- Manage system administration including website hosting/domain administration – SSH, PHP My Admin, CPanel and gauge future hosting needs
- Stay abreast of security challenges and solutions in website security
- Engage in and provide other volunteers with direction, resources and active support to develop work plans and carry out the work
- Work with other team members to develop required deliverables and manage timelines.
- Contribute up to 15-20 hours a month to the role
- Demonstrated experience and interest in technological pursuits, especially websites
- Understand full LAMP stack.
- Ability to explain benefits of technologies to organization’s members
- Ability to train and teach members to use technologies
- Ability to support members on a range of devices and platforms
- Ability to form MySQL queries and work directly within a database to extract and change data
- Thorough understanding of search technology including weighted rankings using metadata in indexed search engines
- Thorough understanding of WordPress and WP_query
- Thorough knowledge of WCAG Guidelines, Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Federal legislation
- Familiarity with user experience design including building and designing wireframes of new website
- Ability to gauge current and future hosting needs, make and implement recommendations
- Passion for gender equality, feminism and equity, diversity, and inclusivity
- Excellent English writing skills and inter-personal presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
Strengthening Our Diversity
Rise Up is strongly committed to building a Board, Collective and Volunteer Membership that is inclusive of diverse voices. We invite the participation of Black, Indigenous, and women of colour, women with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons whose involvement in feminist activism has often been marginalized or erased in the historical record.
If you are interested in helping us advance the work of this exciting archival project, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest together with a resume to email@example.com. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line.